Heiting & Irwin’s Jean-Simon Serrano Retained as counsel for Cheerleaders Hurt in Former Murrieta Mayor’s DUI Crash
Headed home from a school pep rally, the Murrieta Valley High School students were the victims of a car accident on Jefferson Avenue toward Lily Avenue at about 8:20 p.m.
Ex-Murrieta Mayor Alan Long was the driver of the vehicle that crashed into the rear end of the girls’ car.
The impact of the car crash shattered the girls’ rear window, severely damaged the bumper, and lodged the passenger doors shut—needless to say, the car was totaled.
More importantly, the girls suffered serious injuries and one is still bedridden (as of Nov. 10). Serrano, of Heiting & Irwin, has been retained as counsel for the girl’s family.
Long is still employed by the Anaheim Fire Department. He resigned as mayor shortly after the crash, appropriately due to charges being brought against him for causing the accident while driving in an impaired state. He recently won a reelection bid for the Murrieta City Council.
This story is garnering much media attention, with reports from many large news outlets. Below is a collection of some such stories. Feel free to browse the links to better understand the full breadth of the situation.
- Los Angeles Times: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-cheerleaders-sue-former-murrieta-mayor-in-dui-crash-20141110-story.html
- KTLA 5: http://ktla.com/2014/11/10/teen-cheerleaders-sue-former-murrieta-mayor-alan-long-over-alleged-dui-crash/
- The Press-Enterprise: http://www.pe.com/articles/long-753891-crash-serrano.html
- NBC Southern California: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Former-Murrieta-Mayor-Faces-Negligence-Lawsuit-282223441.html
- CBS Los Angeles: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/11/10/families-of-teens-injured-in-alleged-dui-crash-file-suit-against-former-murrieta-mayor/
The thoughts of our entire Riverside law firm staff are with the families of the young ladies affected by this crash.