Riverside Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Many times after a motorcycle accident, the injuries are serious and sometimes fatal. Motorcycle accidents require experienced representation and investigation efforts that focus on the necessary issues that can win the claim. Heiting & Irwin Attorneys At Law has the resources, attorneys, and staff investigator to meet all your needs.
What Should I do After a California Motorcycle Accident?
There are a few things that you should take care of after the accident. Make sure you notify your insurance carrier of the accident, and seek immediate medical attention. It is important that a qualified health care professional examine you, document your injuries, and begin any necessary treatment. Photographs of the scene, the vehicles, and your injuries may be very important. As soon as you are able, contact your attorneys, Heiting & Irwin Attorneys At Law, as it is best to obtain facts, information, materials, and witnesses while the information is still fresh. It is very important to permit us to do a prompt investigation.
We have handled these cases since 1976, with our own investigator and many experts available to make sure all important facts and information are documented and preserved. We have the resources to investigate your claim properly and to preserve the evidence so that your rights may be protected.
In addition, Heiting & Irwin Attorneys At Law may assist you with your property damage recovery, obtaining payment of medical bills and other expenses, all as a courtesy. Being a motorcycle rider himself, Mr. Heiting understands the dangers of the road and the issues involved in proving your case.
What are Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in California?
We know that riding motorcycles is a favorite pastime for many people in California, in addition to being an inexpensive form of transportation. However, there are risks associated with riding your motorcycle. The most common cause of a motorcycle accident is other driver error. In some cases, the motorcyclist may be at fault or the road conditions may cause an accident. According to Ride Apart, the 10 most common causes of motorcycle accidents are:
- Another vehicle turns left in front of you
- Encountering gravel in a blind corner
- Entering a turn or corner too fast
- Another vehicle changes lanes in front of you
- Another vehicle rear ends you
- Another motorcyclist riding with you makes a mistake causing you to crash
- You locked the front brake
- A vehicle opens its door in your path
- The road is slippery or there is a hazardous condition
- Alcohol and/or drugs
Regardless of what caused your motorcycle accident, our attorneys want to help you as you work to recover from your injuries.
What are Common Injuries Sustained by Motorcyclists in a Motorcycle Crash?
Motorcyclists are at a higher risk for serious injury and fatality than occupants in passenger vehicles are. Even if the rider uses safety gear and takes every precaution while riding, a motorcycle does not offer the same protection in a vehicle crash as a passenger vehicle. Due to the nature of the vehicles involved, common injuries we see in motorcycle accidents include:
- Head Injuries – Even with a helmet, you can suffer a traumatic head injury in a motorcycle accident. You should immediately seek medical treatment if you hit your head during a motorcycle accident. A closed head injury may not be immediately known without a medical examination.
- Broken Bones – Broken bones and fractures are common injuries in motorcycle accidents. When the motorcyclist is thrown from the motorcycle or is struck by another vehicle, it is easy to suffer broken bones.
- Road Rash – When a motorcyclist slides across the pavement or road, any exposed skin (or if you have thin clothing on) is scraped away by the hard surface. This can result in permanent scarring and disfigurement. Cuts, scrapes, and bruises are also common injuries.
- Fatalities – Thousands of people are killed each year in motorcycle accidents. It is tragic when a rider is killed because of a careless, reckless, or negligent decision by another driver. The family of the motorcyclist may be entitled to receive damages under a California wrongful death lawsuit.
What Damages Can I Receive in a California Motorcycle Accident?
The damages stemming from your motorcycle accident will depend on several factors including the circumstances of the accident, the severity of your injuries, and the time it takes you to heal and get back to your normal life. Each accident is different and will require investigation and evaluation.
Common damages you may receive compensation for in a motorcycle accident claim include:
- Property damage
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Compensation for physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship, support, and guidance in the event of a fatality
- Funeral, burial, and/or cremation expenses
- Reimbursement for travel expenses and other out-of-pocket expenses
- Costs of a lawsuit
If you have questions regarding what damages you are entitled to receive from a motorcycle crash, we encourage you to take advantage of our free consultation. We can answer your questions and provide detailed information based on the facts of your case.
Contact an Experienced Riverside, CA Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Victims of a motorcycle accident should seek an experienced lawyer as soon as possible. With over 100 years of combined experience as motorcycle accident lawyers, our clients in Riverside and throughout Southern California receive the strongest representation possible. Contact our office by calling 951-682-6400 or using our online form to schedule a free consultation.