LACK OF COMMUNICATION = LOSS OF BENEFITS (PART 1 OF 2)
One of the most important components of any successful case is communication between client and attorney. Attorneys rely upon their clients to provide them with important information about changes, developments, and other updates, and failures to communicate in the Workers’ Compensation arena can even result in the loss of benefits.
The following suggestions are the first of a two-part series written with an eye towards injured workers with attorney representation in a pending Workers’ Compensation matter, although these pointers can apply equally with respect to many other areas of the law.
1) Always keep your attorney advised of any changes in your condition, symptoms or disability.
2) Do not rely on the fact that all of your symptoms and conditions have been included in your most recent medical reports – this is not always the case.
3) It is always better to be certain and it often takes weeks before your physician has his completed and transcribed medical report sent out to the parties.
4) Many times your physician’s report is sent to the insurance company as they are typically responsible for paying for the report and are not forwarded to your attorney until days or weeks later, if at all.
5) Always keep your attorney informed of changes in phone numbers and addresses whether they are your own or that of emergency contact numbers.
6) There may be times that your attorney needs to contact you immediately, but he/she is unable to do so because of recent changes in your phone number, your phone plan (cell phones) etc.
7) Keep a log of your changes in condition – whether it is an acute flare-up or a totally new condition, symptom or part of body that is bothering you. You can even use a yearly calendar with big daily squares to write in.
These suggestions are no substitute for legal advice, however. One of the many benefits of hiring an attorney for your Workers’ Compensation case is getting access to specialized advice based on your particular circumstances.
If you are in need of some help with your Workers’ Compensation case, or someone you know has been injured, we would be happy to provide you with a FREE CONSULTATION. Our office also handles cases involving catastrophic personal injury, medical malpractice, elder abuse, and premises liability, so if you or someone you know is in need of legal help, please give us a call at (951) 682-6400.