Close Menu

What Form, If Any, Do I Need to File With the DMV After an Accident?

California law requires the reporting of all car accidents on streets and highways that result in bodily injury, death, or property damage exceeding $1,000. If you have been involved in a car accident, you are legally obligated to obtain, complete, and submit Form SR-1 to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you do not submit Form SR-1 within 10 days of your accident, you may be required to pay monetary fines.

Form SR-1 is an official document provided by the California DMV. Vehicle Code Section 16000 requires those involved in an accident to complete and submit the form within 10 days of any accident resulting in:

  • Property damage exceeding $1,000
  • Personal injury and/or
  • Death

You can submit the form on your own, or you can direct your insurance company or attorney to submit the form on your behalf.

All drivers in California are required to carry minimally-acceptable insurance coverage on all registered vehicles. Information about insurance coverage for all cars involved in the accident must be provided on Form SR-1. This includes:

  • Name of insurance company
  • Insurance policy number
  • Insurance policy period, and
  • Name of policy holder.

You must also indicate whether each policy was in effect at the time of the accident.

Form SR-1 requires drivers to submit details about all property damage, personal injuries, and deaths that are related the accident. This includes all drivers, passengers, bicyclists, and pedestrians who are affected by the crash. The following information must be provided for all injured parties:

  • Name and address of victim
  • Type of harm (injury, death, property damage)
  • Description and value of property damage, and
  • Connection to accident (driver, passenger, bicyclist, pedestrian).

If you choose not to fill out the SR-1, as required by law, California Vehicle Code §16004 permits the state to suspend your driver’s license and take other necessary administrative actions concerning your driving privileges.  It is not very common that this section is enforced; however, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Additionally, if you which to obtain information about another driver’s insurance company, and this information was not provided in a traffic collision report, you may submit Form SR-19C. Before Form SR-19C can be submitted, you must have already completed and filed Form SR-1 with the DMV.

Form SR-1 can be found at your nearest California DMV location or on the official California DMV website.

If you have been involved in an injury-producing vehicle collision, or an incident involving property damage (>$1,000), you are required by law to report the crash. It is important to make sure that all applicable documents, including Form SR-1, are completed in full and submitted on time.

The experienced personal injury attorneys at Heiting and Irwin can help you navigate the issues you face after a car accident. Heiting & Irwin is here for you. We have dealt with many personal injury cases or all types, including many, many, vehicle collisions and will work hard to get you the settlement that you deserve. Contact us online or call us at 951-682-6400 to start your case now.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn