Close Menu

What Happens When You Get Injured During Summer Activities?

What Happens When You Get Injured During Summer Activities?Summer is a time for fun in the sun. But your day out with your family or friends can quickly turn sour if you get injured. If you are wondering what happens when you get injured during summer activities and what next steps you should take, you’ll need to do your research and/or then call a personal injury lawyer for help.

Riverside, California personal injury lawyers Heiting & Irwin have over four decades of experience assisting clients with personal injury. We have retrieved more than $500 million for our clients, and we’ll counsel you and work hard to get you the settlement that’s rightfully yours.

What Is Premises Liability?

Whenever you get injured on someone else’s property, you may be able to initiate a premises liability claim. Essentially, we need to prove that the property owners had a duty of care that they were required to uphold, they breached that duty by having unsafe or dangerous conditions on their property, and because of these conditions, you were injured.

Some examples of premises liability cases include slip or trip and fall, dog bites, inadequate maintenance of the premises, swimming pool accidents, defective conditions of the premises, inadequate building security leading to injury or assault, and similar issues.

The property owner could be responsible for your injury even if you were not invited onto their property. For instance, if you are a customer coming onto someone’s business property and they didn’t warn you of a defective or dangerous condition, legal action may be available. Or, if a child went into a neighbor’s open yard and jumped into an uncovered swimming pool and got injured, or died, the property owner may be held responsible. The facts surrounding the case and details can make a big difference.  A lawyer’s review and analysis is invaluable.

What if the Accident Was My Fault?

Even if you think the accident may be partially your fault, if you have been seriously injured, see a qualified lawyer right away.  Do not delay!  Every moment lost may mean evidence lost; and they attorney will be able to analyze the facts and details to determine if a case exists.

Getting Injured in Public Spaces During the Summer

If you are injured in a public space such as a park, you may need to take action against your local municipality or city. The rules concerning “public entities” are different than rules as applied to others.  Time limits and need to file a claim are different.  You also need to follow a stringent set of rules in order for your case to be considered. It’s critical that you call upon a personal injury lawyer as soon as your accident on public property occurs so that you can get your case rolling.

Getting Injured at an Amusement Park

If you get injured at a water park or amusement park in the summer, then the park owner could potentially be held responsible. For example, maybe you were on a ride that was defective because it hadn’t been worked on for years and the screws were coming loose. You ended up getting hurt on the ride. What we would need to do was prove that because the ride was not functioning properly, you became injured.

Perhaps your children were on a slide and the ride operator wasn’t paying attention to how many kids they were letting through at once. They let in too many at a time and they all smacked into each other halfway down the ride and suffered injuries. Again, the water park might be held responsible for this.

Getting Injured at Summer Camp

When you send your kids to summer camp, you expect the camp to take proper care of them. Sometimes, however, this doesn’t happen. Your child may have gotten hurt in the pool area, gotten injured while going out on a kayak, or suffered from a broken arm when playing baseball because they weren’t given the right equipment to use. The camp might not have given campers the proper instructions, trained their staff, maintained their equipment, put up signage and warnings, or supervise kids while they were participating in activities. The camp might be liable for your child’s injuries.

What to Do When You’re Injured

When you are injured, it’s important to first collect proof while you’re still at the scene. This means get pictures and also, gather witness statements and identification.  Photos of visible injuries and any damage to your belongings may be very important. If they are there, let the property owner know about what happened and file a report with them. Get a copy before leaving if you can.

Go to the hospital for immediate medical treatment, including X-rays, if that is warranted. Follow your doctor’s orders and take any medication they prescribe. Take whatever tests you need and go to follow-up and referral appointments in order to get better as soon as possible.

It’s also crucial to call a personal injury lawyer as soon as you can. They will help you collect all the necessary proof you need as well as go after a settlement, which could include compensation for your medical bills, damage to your belongings, pain and suffering, loss of wages, and more.

By taking the right steps ASAP, you may be able to retrieve compensation and gain some peace of mind during this otherwise tumultuous time.

Get in Touch With Heiting & Irwin for Help

If you experienced a premises liability injury and want to recover some compensation from your accident, then it’s time to find a personal injury lawyer to represent you. Heiting & Irwin is here for you. We have dealt with many personal injury cases and will work hard to get you the settlement that you deserve. Contact us online or call us at 951-682-6400 to start your case now.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn