Close Menu

What to Do If You’re Injured at a Park

This year has been especially tough for everyone. COVID-19 has flipped people’s worlds upside down, and now they are mostly staying at home and going only to local places for fun and recreation.

Since many summer camps shut down this summer, schools haven’t been in session for months and people can’t do their normal outdoor activities like traveling this year, they’re utilizing their local parks. Parents take their kids to use the playgrounds and other people go to exercise and get some fresh air.

If you were at a park recently and you or someone in your family was injured, you may be able to investigate whether a claim should be brought against the defendant, or the owner or management of the park. For instance, if you put your child on a swing and that swing snapped, injuring your child, then you might have a claim. However, if you just tripped and fell over a patch of grass because you were not attentive to where you were stepping, you likely would not have a claim.

Your success will depend on the circumstances surrounding your injury.

Can You Sue the Government for a Park Injury?

If you were injured in a public park that the government runs, issues become complicated. This is because entities running public parks may be entitled to immunity from claims, thus preventing liability should an accident occur.  They have other advantages as well.

But, you should consult and experienced attorney to explore whether you should file a claim should you get injured at a park. If the management did not uphold its responsibility to keep the park in working order and good condition, then you may have a strong case.

Some examples of valid claims would include if the park had broken equipment, a building was defective, the roads and sidewalks were not well maintained and there were hazards that the park entity did not take care of in a reasonable amount of time.

We would have to prove responsibility for the park and that there were unsafe conditions that they knew about or should have known about.  There are many issues that need to be explored.

What Do You Need for a Park Injury Case?

Whether you’re starting a claim against a public or private entity, you will need proof.

Immediate photos or videos of the scene of the accident, as well as written witness statements, can be very important.  Get all names and information of possible witnesses if you are able.  Contact the police or a park officer after the incident, and file reports. Get a copy of anything you or others submit.

You should have gone to the hospital, urgent care, or your own doctor, right after you got injured and had an examination, possibly including X-rays.  Get treatment for your medical needs. We’ll need to have medical records to show that you were injured. If you waited to go to the doctor, it could be harder to prove your case.

How a Personal Injury Lawyer Could Help You

A personal injury lawyer can assist in collecting all the necessary documents for your case. They’ll also evaluate the claim and its merits, as well as review time limits that may apply, since there is a much shorter time frame when dealing with a government entity. Your lawyer will provide notice of the claim, and do all other things required when starting a lawsuit or claim.

Of course, there is no guarantee that you’ll win your case just because you hired a lawyer. However, you’ll have a much better chance of winning because your lawyer will know the ins and outs of investigating, filing, and the laws surrounding parks, freeing you to undergo necessary medical treatment, not dealing with a complicated lawsuit.

A lawyer can take the burden off your shoulders and hopefully get your case resolved as swiftly as possible. In the appropriate case, all your medical bills (past and future) will be covered, as well as recoup your wages lost (and future loss of earning capacity) and any pain and suffering you might have endured as a result of your injuries.

Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you’ve been injured in a park, we need to give your claim attention as fast as possible. That’s why it’s best to call a personal injury lawyer today to potentially get the compensation you deserve.

If you’re ready to pursue your personal injury claim, then call the personal injury attorneys at Heiting & Irwin at 951-682-6400, or contact our office online to schedule a free consultation over the telephone, in person or by email.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn