Close Menu


1. REPORT THE INJURY – If you are injured on the job report your injury. Ask your employer or a DWC1 (claim form). Fill it our and request a copy for your own records.

If you work for a small company and you are uncertain if they are insured for work-related injuries or how they will treat you once you report your injury, immediately document the fact that you submitted a claim form. This can be done by requesting a copy signed as received by your employer/sending a letter to your employer confirming that you reported an injury on a certain date. You might even text your employer or supervisor if he or she uses a cell phone.

2. SEE THE DOCTOR – If you believe your injury requires medical treatment or evaluation, ask your employer to see a physician immediately. This is not only the best way to ensure that your injuries are attended to, but the best way to document your injuries.

In fact, when you see the physician make certain that you indicate all symptoms that you are having and parts of your body that you believe were injured. Failure to mention a symptom or part of body may be used against you if you pursue the claim further.


Mr. Irwin is a recognized specialist in Workers’ Compensation law. He has been certified as a specialist by the State Bar of California since 1995. He limits his practice to handling only workers’ compensation cases. View Attorney Richard Irwin's Attorney Bio Here.

Everest Legal Marketing

© 2016 - 2023 Heiting & Irwin, APLC. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by Everest Legal Marketing.